Friday, January 7, 2011

Paris, December 26th

We landed in Paris after an uneventful flight where I watched the utterly forgettable "Eat, Pray, Love." The book might be more compelling, but the movie did not inspire any sympathy in me towards the character. "Oh my God! I'm so brave! I gained 10 pounds and am now only slightly underweight!!!!" "Oh my terrible problems, I'm glad I'm so wealthy I can take off a year of work with no fear and join my wealthy fellow Americans at exclusive ashrams in India!" Anyways... I'm probably being a bit harsh, but this was all that was available to watch on a long flight.

We were luckily able to immediately check into our hotel, the beautiful Hotel Pont Royal, beautifully situated 4 blocks from the Seine and 2 blocks from Eric Kayser, the boulangerie where I had croissant #1 out of 1000 of our seven day trip. We walked along the Seine near the Louvre and saw Notre Dame and St. Chapelle. We went for a crepe (sucre for me, nutella for husband) and went back to the hotel to nap. We arose from a very deep sleep for dinner at Chez Fernand, a second location (turns out the owner owns 8 restaurants in Paris). I had a phenomenal veloute of broccoli, the husband had terrine of pate, and we shared boeuf bourguinon for dinner. It was incredible! We mopped up every last drop of the sauce with bread. Then we had a gateaux du chocolat, which was also awesome and decadent, but my tummy was telling me (shouting, really) "STOP" Back to the hotel and fell asleep, only to wake wide awake around 2:30am. 4 hours of Harry Potter later, I fell back asleep and husband and I woke up around 11am.



No comments: